The Midwest Economics Association invites submission of undergraduate student papers for special undergraduate sessions at its 80th annual meeting, April 1-3, 2016 at the Hilton Orrington, Evanston, Illinois. The competition has been intense in past years, with significantly more papers rejected than accepted. Please bring this solicitation to the attention of faculty in your department so that they can inform undergraduate students of this opportunity to present their research. An award of $200 will be given for the best undergraduate student paper presented at the meetings.
Undergraduate Paper Submission Guidelines
Students must submit a 5 page double-spaced pdf-format document containing a research proposal in order to be considered for inclusion in the MEA undergraduate sessions at the Annual Meeting. In this proposal you should do the following:
- State your research question.
- Review two papers closest to what you are planning to do yourself. This review should be no more than 2 double-spaced pages.
- Explain your research plan; that is, how do you plan to replicate or extend the work you have reviewed? What models enable you to understand durable (structural) relations useful for predicting future outcomes? What research methods will enable you to compare the validity of alternative models? For example, will you use econometrics, simulations, or experimental evidence to test the economic model against the real world?
- Add information about the research resources or data that you have that will enable you to explore your research question. Indicate whether you already have the data and if so, please describe it in detail.
- Indicate what results you expect to have by the April MEA meetings.
No submissions will be considered without your Name, Email, Mailing Address, College, Cohort (expected graduation year), and your faculty adviser’s name. Submit your 5 page document and $20 submission fee using the abstract submission form located on the MEA website no later than December 1, 2015*.
Note: There is a $20 abstract submission fee for undergraduate students to submit a paper. Undergraduates cannot be members of the MEA so they do not pay the membership dues. When students are notified of their paper acceptance, there will be a $45 registration fee to attend the meeting, payable prior to April.
*this deadline is later than the date for regular paper submissions